Summer Student Program
ASIAA offers an annual Summer Student Program for undergraduate students, both local and from abroad to help bridge the gap between astronomy education and scientific research. This is similar to, though independent from, the NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program in the United States.
The goal of the summer student program is to provide students an opportunity to study selected topics in astronomy, astrophysics and astronomical instrumentation which they might not have in their own university. We target talented students who demonstrate the enthusiasm necessary to conduct theoretical, computational, or laboratory-base research in astronomy and astrophysics as a stepping-stone to their future academic career.
The projects proposed by professional astronomers at ASIAA cover theorey, numerical simulations, observational data analysis. Data analysis opportunites range from observational cosmology to radio and optical/infrared astronomy. Instrumentation opportunities range from radio instrumentation to, the fabrication and measurement of superconducting devices. In addition to their research project, students will attend a series of introductory lectures aimed at broadening their knowledge base of active fields of astronomy research. These lectures cover optical/infrared/radio astronomy and engineering/instrumentation. The science topics range from our solar system, to star formation, to computational fluid dynamics, to nearby and distant galaxies, and cosmology. At the end of the program, students will submit a written report and present their results in English.
We encourage students to consider astronomy research as a possible career option. Many summer students continue their research after the program, and find the program helpful to jump-start their career and often publish their results in a scientific journal. Some students later join masters or PhD programs in local or overseas universities. From 1998, the ASIAA summer student program has trained more than 260 undergraduate students. Among those students, two of them have been appointed as assistant research fellows, and several have been appointed as postdoctoral fellows at our institute.
Journal Papers (20)
- Naslim N; Kemper F; ...; Chu Y-H; ...; Yang Y; Seok J; ....; Otsuka M; Hirashita H; Morata O; ...; Srinivasan S; et al., "Molecular hydrogen emission in the interstellar medium of the Large Magellanic Cloud" , MNRAS: 446(3), 2490-2504, Jan, 2015 [SCI]
- To C-H; Wang W-H; Owen FN, "Star Formation Rate and Extinction in Faint z~4 Lyman-Break Galaxies" , ApJ: 792(2), 139, Sept 10, 2014 [SCI]
- Lee H-T; Liao W-T; ...; Karr J; ...; Su Y-N; Liu S-Y; Duan H-Y; Takami M, "Near-infrared H2 and Continuum Survey of Extended Green Objects. II. Complete Census for the Northern Galactic Plane" , ApJS: 208(2), 23, Oct, 2013 [SCI]
- Chang Y-L; Bodenheimer PH; Gu P-G, "Coupled Evolutions of the Stellar Obliquity, Orbital Distance, and Planet's Radius due to the Ohmic Dissipation Induced in a Diamagnetic Hot Jupiter around a Magnetic T Tauri Star" , ApJ: 757(2), 118, Oct 1, 2012 [SCI]
- Huang KY; Urata Y; Tung YH; Lin HM; ...; Wang SY; ...; Lehner MJ; ...; Wang JH; Wen CY; ...; Zhang ZW; et al., "The GRB 071112C: A Case Study of Different Mechanisms in X-ray and Optical Temporal Evolution" , ApJ: 748(1), 44-50, Mar, 2012 [SCI]
- Kuo T-M; Hirashita H, "Impact of grain size distributions on the dust enrichment in high-redshift quasars" , MNRAS: 424(1), L34-L38, July, 2012 [SCI]
- Lee H-T; Takami M; Duan H-Y; Karr J; Su Y-N; Liu S-Y; Froebrich D; Yeh Cosmos C, "Near-Infrared H2 and Continuum Survey of Extended Green Objects" , ApJS: 200(1), 2, May, 2012 [SCI]
- Takami M; Chen H-H; Lee H-T; Karr JL; Lai SP; Minh Y-C, "Emission Mechanism of "Green Fuzzies" in High-mass Star-forming Regions" , ApJ: 748(1), 8, Mar, 2012 [SCI]
- Yang C-H; Lee CF, "A Remodel of the Envelope around the 21 μm Protoplanetary Nebula IRAS 07134+1005" , ApJ: 744(2), 117, Jan, 2012 [SCI]
- Hsieh P-Y; Matsushita S; ...; Ho PTP; ...; Wu Y-L, "Physical Properties of the Circumnuclear Starburst Ring in the Barred Galaxy NGC 1097" , ApJ: 736(2), 129-145, Aug 1, 2011 [SCI]
- Sun A-L; Hirashita H, "Importance of far-infrared mapping in a spiral galaxy: AKARI observation of M81" , MNRAS: 411(3), 1707-1715, Mar, 2011 [SCI]
- Wang RB; Hirotani K, "Death Line of Gamma-Ray Pulsars with Outer Gaps" , ApJ: 736(2), 127, Aug 1, 2011 [SCI]
- Takami M; Karr JL; Koh H; Chen H-H; Lee H-T, "A Detailed Study of Spitzer-IRAC Emission in Herbig-Haro Objects. I. Morphology and Flux Ratios of Shocked Emission" , ApJ: 720(1), 155-172, Sept 1, 2010 [SCI]
- Chiu PJ; Hoang CT; Dinh-V-Trung; Lim J; Kwok S; Hirano N ; Muthu C, "A Slowly Expanding Disk and Fast Bipolar Outflow from the S Star π1 Gruis" , ApJ: 645(1), 605-612, July 1, 2006 [SCI]
- Shang H; Allen A; Li Z-Y; Liu C-F; Chou M-Y; Anderson J, "A Unified Model for Bipolar Outflows from Young Stars" , ApJ: 649(2), 845-855, Oct 1, 2006 [SCI]
- Matsushita S; Sakamoto K; Kuo CY; Hsieh PY; Dinh-V-Trung; ...; Liu SY; Ohashi N; Lim J, "Submillimeter Array 12CO (J=3-2) Interferometric Observations of the Central Region of M51" , ApJ: 616(1), L55-L58, Nov 20, 2004 [SCI]
- Chisholm J; Matsushita S, "The Molecular Baryon Cycle of M82" , ApJ: 830(2), 72, Oct, 2016 [SCI]
- Blum RD; Srinivasan S; Kemper F; Ling B; Volk K, "Spitzer SAGE-Spec: Near Infrared Spectroscopy, Dust Shells, and Cool Envelopes in Extreme Large Magellanic Cloud Asymptotic Giant Branch Stars" , AJ: 148(5), 86, Nov, 2014 [SCI]
- Koyamatsu S; Takakuwa S; Hayashi M; Mayama S; Ohashi N, "The Disappearing Envelope around the Transitional Class I Object L43" , ApJ: 789(2), 95, July, 2014 [SCI]
- Choi M; Tang YW, "Millimeter imaging of the HH 270 protostellar core and outflow" , ApJ: 648(1), 504-509, Sep 1, 2006 [SCI]
Conference Proceedings (1)
- Koch P; ...; Chang YY; Huang Y-D; Raffin P; ...; Chen M-T; et al., "Platform Deformation Refined Pointing and Phase Correction for the AMiBA Hexapod Telescope" , 2008, Proceedings of SPIE, Vol.7018: Advanced Optical and Mechanical Technologies in Telescopes and Instrumentation, (Eds. Eli Atad-Ettedgui, Dietrich Lemke), 70181L (15 pages), July 2008