Summer Student Program
To bridge astronomy education and research in Taiwan, ASIAA has provided the Summer Student Program for undergraduate students from both inland and abroad. The target students are those interested in carrying out research or instrumentation projects in astronomy and astrophysics as their future academic career. Nearly 150 students have participated in the Program since 1998. Successful applicants will receive stipend support for the summer and work on a professional astronomer/engineer. Those who join the program typically work on a project with a specific research topic under the supervision of our research staff for two months.
One of the major purposes of the Program is to provide the opportunity for students to learn at first hand various aspects of advanced astronomy/astrophysics and engineering/instrumentation research. In addition to the research project, a series of lectures at an introductory level are also offered to broaden the knowledge base for the students to different research topics. These lectures and projects usually cover optical/infrared/radio astronomy and ngineering/instrumentation, ranging from solar system and star formation to computational fluid dynamics, nearby and distant galaxies, and cosmology. At the end of the program students submit a written report and present their result in English.
One of the advantages for the Summer Students is it offers students a better perspective on whether astronomy is a befitting career option. Many Summer Students continue their research after the Program, finding the program helpful as a jump start of their career and produce scientific results that is worth publication. Some later join Master/PhD programs in local or overseas universities in astronomy. Some of current postdocs and research fellows at ASIAA are the Summer Students from early years.
Journal Papers (16)
- Lee H-T; Liao W-T; ...; Karr J; ...; Su Y-N; Liu S-Y; Duan H-Y; Takami M, "Near-infrared H2 and Continuum Survey of Extended Green Objects. II. Complete Census for the Northern Galactic Plane" , ApJS: 208(2), 23, Oct, 2013 [SCI]
- Lee H-T; Takami M; Liao W-T; Cheng Y-H; Duan H-Y; ...; Su Y-N; Liu S-Y; Karr J, "Clump and H2 Outflow Evolution of Massive Young Stellar Objects" , ApJ, 2013, Submitted [SCI]
- Chang Y-L; Bodenheimer PH; Gu P-G, "Coupled Evolutions of the Stellar Obliquity, Orbital Distance, and Planet's Radius due to the Ohmic Dissipation Induced in a Diamagnetic Hot Jupiter around a Magnetic T Tauri Star" , ApJ: 757(2), 118, Oct 1, 2012 [SCI]
- Huang KY; Urata Y; Tung YH; Lin HM; ...; Wang SY; ...; Lehner MJ; ...; Wang JH; Wen CY; ...; Zhang ZW; et al., "The GRB 071112C: A Case Study of Different Mechanisms in X-ray and Optical Temporal Evolution" , ApJ: 748(1), 44-50, Mar, 2012 [SCI]
- Kuo T-M; Hirashita H, "Impact of grain size distributions on the dust enrichment in high-redshift quasars" , MNRAS: 424(1), L34-L38, July, 2012 [SCI]
- Lee H-T; Takami M; Duan H-Y; Karr J; Su Y-N; Liu S-Y; Froebrich D; Yeh Cosmos C, "Near-Infrared H2 and Continuum Survey of Extended Green Objects" , ApJS: 200(1), 2, May, 2012 [SCI]
- Takami M; Chen H-H; Lee H-T; Karr JL; Lai SP; Minh Y-C, "Emission Mechanism of "Green Fuzzies" in High-mass Star-forming Regions" , ApJ: 748(1), 8, Mar, 2012 [SCI]
- Yang C-H; Lee CF, "A Remodel of the Envelope around the 21 μm Protoplanetary Nebula IRAS 07134+1005" , ApJ: 744(2), 117, Jan, 2012 [SCI]
- Hsieh P-Y; Matsushita S; ...; Ho PTP; ...; Wu Y-L, "Physical Properties of the Circumnuclear Starburst Ring in the Barred Galaxy NGC 1097" , ApJ: 736(2), 129-145, Aug 1, 2011 [SCI]
- Sun A-L; Hirashita H, "Importance of far-infrared mapping in a spiral galaxy: AKARI observation of M81" , MNRAS: 411(3), 1707-1715, Mar, 2011 [SCI]
- Wang RB; Hirotani K, "Death Line of Gamma-Ray Pulsars with Outer Gaps" , ApJ: 736(2), 127, Aug 1, 2011 [SCI]
- Takami M; Karr JL; Koh H; Chen H-H; Lee H-T, "A Detailed Study of Spitzer-IRAC Emission in Herbig-Haro Objects. I. Morphology and Flux Ratios of Shocked Emission" , ApJ: 720(1), 155-172, Sept 1, 2010 [SCI]
- Chiu PJ; Hoang CT; Dinh-V-Trung; Lim J; Kwok S; Hirano N ; Muthu C, "A Slowly Expanding Disk and Fast Bipolar Outflow from the S Star π1 Gruis" , ApJ: 645(1), 605-612, July 1, 2006 [SCI]
- Shang H; Allen A; Li Z-Y; Liu C-F; Chou M-Y; Anderson J, "A Unified Model for Bipolar Outflows from Young Stars" , ApJ: 649(2), 845-855, Oct 1, 2006 [SCI]
- Matsushita S; Sakamoto K; Kuo CY; Hsieh PY; Dinh-V-Trung; ...; Liu SY; Ohashi N; Lim J, "Submillimeter Array 12CO (J=3-2) Interferometric Observations of the Central Region of M51" , ApJ: 616(1), L55-L58, Nov 20, 2004 [SCI]
- Choi M; Tang YW, "Millimeter imaging of the HH 270 protostellar core and outflow" , ApJ: 648(1), 504-509, Sep 1, 2006 [SCI]
Conference Proceedings (1)
- Koch P; ...; Chang YY; Huang Y-D; Raffin P; ...; Chen M-T; et al., "Platform Deformation Refined Pointing and Phase Correction for the AMiBA Hexapod Telescope" , 2008, Proceedings of SPIE, Vol.7018: Advanced Optical and Mechanical Technologies in Telescopes and Instrumentation, (Eds. Eli Atad-Ettedgui, Dietrich Lemke), 70181L (15 pages), July 2008